EDWARDS WILDMAN PALMER LLP 111 Huntington Avenue Boston, Massachusetts 02199
- Partner (10/87 to12/14) – Dispute resolution and general counsel experience for American and foreign clients (including extensive Middle Eastern experience), ranging from international arbitration to transactional experience.
- Admitted to practice: Massachusetts, New York and Rhode Island; U.S. District Court of Massachusetts; First Circuit Court of Appeals; U.S. Supreme Court.
HALE AND DORR 60 State Street Boston Massachusetts 02109
- Litigation Partner (1983 to 10/87).
- Associate in the Litigation and Corporate Departments (1977 - 1983). General US Federal Court and State Court Litigation (including commercial, constitutional and trade secret cases) as well as International Commercial Arbitration.
ROPES AND GRAY Boston Massachusetts
- Summer Associate (6/76 to 8/76)
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR Solicitor's Office Boston Massachusetts
- Legal Intern (6/75 to 8/75)
Dispute Resolution -- Examples
Advocacy -- US Federal Court and State Court Litigation, as well as arbitrations, including:
Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP (and predecessor firms)
- Communications — Defense of $US eight figure claim arising from telecom privatization in Saudi Arabia
- Environmental — Defense of first governmental enforcement action for depletion of the ozone layer
- Entertainment — Royalty claims, copyright ownership and management dispute involving the rock group known as “Boston”
- Insurance — Co-counsel in defense of $US nine figure enforcement action in the United Kingdom on North Korean nine figure judgment
- Investment — Representation of Gulf-based investment funds in $US nine figure claims brought in US litigation involving acquisition and sale activities of Cayman fund in the Chinese energy sector
- Patent Litigation —Lead Counsel for a Common Defense Group of American, European, and Asian parties in a design patent infringement action before the U.S. International Trade Commission.
- Precious metals — defense of ancillary proceedings in aid of arbitration in $US eight figure claim by Israeli company
- Advocate for Liechtenstein and Middle Eastern parties in an eight-figure London arbitration claim and related Saudi grievance board proceeding in a health care joint venture dispute
- Advocate in a ten-figure energy long-term supply contract breach ICC arbitration between publicly traded American company and North African
- Advocate in numerous civil rights and constitutional litigation proceedings for plaintiffs and defendants
- Advocate in numerous trade secret litigation proceedings
General Counsel -- Representative Transactions
- Experience as outside general counsel to foreign clients ranging from Middle Eastern commercial and royal family members, as well as a former Prime Minister, to American start up, mature privately owned, and NY Stock Exchange listed companies in a wide variety of industry sectors, including thermoforming machine manufacture, fishing, health foods, storage, telecom and precious metals sectors. Notable examples include:
- Guidance on sanctions to the off shore self-insurer of major energy companies globally (e.g.
Iranian and Syrian matters)
- Post 9/11 guidance to the Chairman of a large Arab owned bank on counter-terrorist finance issues
- International Special Counsel to a NYSE listed company on joint ventures in Asia and the Middle East
International General Counsel on joint ventures and related industrial projects for Middle Eastern strategic financial partners and American technology partners
- International General Counsel to a Middle Eastern-financed offshore collective investment through special purpose corporations for U.S., European, North African and Middle Eastern investments.
- International General Counsel for the Middle Eastern- financed structuring of offshore funds for an investment advisory company
- International General Counsel to a Middle Eastern-financed Bahraini fund for GCC/Yemen investments.
- International General Counsel to a Middle Eastern commercial family on 9-10 figure investment advisory matters and foreign investments in Europe and Asia
- International General or Special Counsel to commercial families from the Middle East and North Africa, including Saudi, Kuwaiti, U.A.E., Qatar, Egypt, Lebanon and Morocco, on matters including U.S. and European investments.
- International General or Special Counsel to Middle Eastern clients for global investment banking related activities.
- International General Counsel to a Middle Eastern-financed offshore special purpose corporation, investing in Cayman Island funds for Middle Eastern investments International general counsel to a Middle-Eastern client in connection with European real estate ownership/development matters
- Outside General counsel to American privately owned manufacturing and other companies in various industries